Putnam County Sheriff Donald B. Smith is asking residents and visitors to take precautionary measures while enjoying the autumn season in Putnam County, where the fall season attracts many people to see the foliage. Many use the Putnam County Rail Trail, while others hike on the trails at Breakneck Mountain and Fahnestock State Park. “Putnam County is a beautiful place all year around. It is especially enjoyable when we see the bright-colored foliage that the autumn season offers. Using a common sense approach toward taking day trips and adhering to simple rules of safety will make outdoor activities more pleasurable and will ensure your safety,” said Sheriff Smith.
Those participating in outdoor activities are urged to use safety precautions when preparing for such leisurely pursuits. The sheriff’s department offers the following tips to ensure personal safety:
- Wear bright-colored clothing, especially near hunting areas.
- Pre-plan your trip. Let someone know where you are going and when you are expected to return.
- Familiarize yourself with the area you plan to visit, knowing the existing terrain and potential hazards.
- Always bring water and a fully charged cellular telephone with you.
- Avoid going alone. Take another person with you as a “buddy.”
- Plan to return from your activity before darkness falls.
- Report any suspicious activity to the Putnam County Sheriff’s Office at (845) 225-4300 or a local police department.
- Dial 9-1-1 to report any emergency.