The eagerly anticipated Philipstown Plant Sale takes place this weekend at a new location, the North Highlands Fire House. Sponored by the Philipstown Garden Club, the sale begins on Friday, May 20, from 5 to 9 p.m., with a party of free cocktails and food, and an enticing silent auction. The sale continues on Saturday, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. and there will be plenty of heirloom vegetables, herbs, annuals (including New Guinea Impatiens with, according to a Garden Club Member “the biggest flower I’ve ever seen!”) and members’ perennial plants. If you mention Haldane or Garrison at the time of purchase, the Garden Club will donate 10 percent of the purchase price to the particular school’s garden funds. A free soil pH test comes with every $25 purchase.
During the Saturday sale hours, workshops will be offered:
- 9:30 a.m. through 11 a.m., multiple 15-minute sessions of Kids’ Salad in a Shoebox, kids plant lettuce in a shoe box to take home.
- 10 a.m. Learn to make Hypertufa Planters. Also known as troughs are a great alternative to concrete and stone planters
- 11 a.m. Cooking lesson making different varieties of salsas.
Silent auction items include:
- Yankee Red Sox field level tickets for two games at Yankee Stadium
- a house on a Scottish Island for 7-10 days
- a cruise on the Hudson
- 6 hours of professional carpentry work
- dinners and more.
HOW WE REPORT
The Current is a member of The Trust Project, a consortium of news outlets that has adopted standards to allow readers to more easily assess the credibility of their journalism. Our best practices, including our verification and correction policies, can be accessed here. Have a comment? A news tip? Spot an error? Email [email protected].