National Get Outdoors Day and Kids to Parks Day
The Taconic Outdoor Education Center (TOEC) invites families to Fahnestock State Park. Unplug the computer and participate in the National Get Outdoors Day and Kids to Parks Day. These special events are part of TOECs Mountain. Laurel Outdoor Rec fest scheduled for Sunday, May 20, 2012 between 9 a.m. and 2 p.m. Planned events include:
- Eric Lind, from Audubon’s Constitution Marsh Sanctuary. He will direct observation of migrating birds “up close and personal”.
- Naturalist, Pete Salmansohn will lead a bird walk.
- Hudson Valley Orienteering will introduce folks to this unique sport. Instruction and a practice course will be available to test new skills.
- REI Outdoor School staff will offer an opportunity to learn kayaking.
- “Hooping” with Hudson Valley Outfitters! HVO staff will bring their professional weighted hoops for everyone to try.
- Putnam Highland Audubon Society and Guiding Eyes for the Blind, along with their ambassador dogs will be attending.
- The High Ropes Adventure Course will be open.
- Raptors and reptiles will take center stage at the end of the day. At 2 p.m. Bill Robinson will display live wildlife discuss their importance in nature.
Food and beverages will be available. A donation of $2 for adults and $1 for children is requested to help defray costs. For information, call 845-265-3773.
TOEC is part of the New York State Park’s Taconic Region and is situated in Fahnestock State Park between Rte. 9 and the Taconic State Parkway off Dennytown Rd.