Two sessions Feb. 23 and March 30 get annuals started for home gardens
Stonecrop Gardens is offering a Seed Sowing Workshop consisting of two sessions Feb. 23 and March 30 (with snow dates of March 2 and April 6), from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Learn the basic principles of seed propagation.
- Demonstration of seed sowing techniques.
- Apply newfound knowledge to sow a variety of annuals.
The skilled growers at Stonecrop will tend to the seed pans over the following five weeks, seeing them through germination and on to their early stages of growth.
- Return to Stonecrop on March 30 when the seedlings are ready to be “pricked out.”
- Learn the critical skill of “pricking out.”
- “Prick out” the newly germinated propagules into larger rounds for “growing on.”
Upon successful completion, participants will take home several rounds of freshly “pricked out” annuals. The challenge will then be to continue “growing on” the annuals, until they can be safely transplanted into the home garden.
The workshop costs $50, or $40 for members. Registration is required by Wednesday, Feb. 20, at 845-265-2000. Space is limited to 10 participants, so early registration is recommended. Participants must be able to commit to both sessions.
Stonecrop Gardens is located at 81 Stonecrop Lane, off of Route 301. The Seed Sowing Workshop will take place in the Potting Shed located in the Horse Barn. Follow signs from the Car Park to the Horse Barn.