Event to Explore Creative Economy and Entrepreneurship
TEDxLongDock comes to Beacon on June 7 and will be held at the Beacon Institute’s Center for Environmental Innovation and Education on Denning’s Point at 199 Dennings Ave.
TEDxLongDock is operated under license from TED, the nonprofit known for its events featuring people who give talks in 18 minutes or less. Those talks are posted on the award-winning TED Talks video site. As of November 2012, the 1,400+ posted videos have been viewed more than one billion times. TEDx is a program of local, self-organized events that bring people together to share a TED-like experience.
The daylong event will include a mix of talks and performances. Some of the speakers scheduled to present include:
- Susan Batton, Dia:Beacon — museum administrator active in arts and culture nationally and locally
- Jennifer Schwartz Berky, Hone Strategic — development adviser for regional and local governance, economic development, historic preservation and environmental conservation
- Stowe Boyd — influential researcher, writer, speaker and futurist, originator of the term “hashtag”
- Joe Concra, O+ Festival — fine artist and co-founder of art and music and wellness event
- Marcus Guiliano, Aroma Thyme Bistro — chef/owner and advocate for supporting ethical, independent producers
- Sarah Jacob — business development consultant
- Shawn Dell Joyce, Wallkill River School —artist, nationally syndicated newspaper columnist and organizer bridging arts and agriculture
- Karen Salmonsohn — bestselling author and book packager with over 1 million books sold
- Jason Stern, Chronogram — publisher, participant and fomenter of the regional creative economy
- Dan Weise, OPEN SPACE — art director, curator and organizer active in the global new art community
Speaking and performing slots are still available. Those interested can apply at tedxlongdock.com/speak.
Attendance is limited and curated. Passes are $70, which includes all sessions and networking, lunch, snacks and an after-party at BEAHIVE. Those interested may apply to attend at tedxlongdock.com/attend.
More information can be found at tedxlongdock.com.