After 12 years, Hudson Valley’s 9/11 Memorial is getting a new location and refurbishment as part of a redesign of the Franciscan Friars of the Atonement’s Graymoor residence. The main feature of the site is a cross, erected by the Ironworkers of Local 40, which is positioned to face Ground Zero. Constructed of steel and ash from the World Trade Center, the beams came from the building above the subway, and the steel rods are from the North Tower. The small steel cross is from the South Tower. Its concrete base is mixed with 4 gallons of Ground Zero ash.
The architectural firm working on the redesign is currently drawing up plans for a relocated and refurbished 9/11 memorial. “All items at the current site will be worked into the new design. Each piece will be carefully and securely stored until the new site is ready for building,” said Brother Theodore Novak, SA, who coordinates the annual memorial service and serves as Chaplain to the Garrison Volunteer Fire Department.
The Franciscan Friars of the Atonement are a Roman Catholic order of brothers and priests founded in 1898 by Fr. Paul Wattson, SA at Graymoor in Garrison. Visit atonementfriars.org.
HOW WE REPORT
The Current is a member of The Trust Project, a consortium of news outlets that has adopted standards to allow readers to more easily assess the credibility of their journalism. Our best practices, including our verification and correction policies, can be accessed here. Have a comment? A news tip? Spot an error? Email [email protected].