Patriot Trail — On the Road to the Fourth of July

Historical markers stud the landscape in Philipstown, though drivers often can’t stop when passing

The First Chain

The first chain, weighing 35 tons and stretching 1,650 yards between the base of Fort Montgomery and the rock at Anthony’s Nose, was a part of the great chain that was built to block British ships from progressing north of West Point on the Hudson River. However, the first chain failed to stop the British from attacking Forts Montgomery and Clinton. After the British gained control of those forts, they promptly dismantled the first chain and went on to invade as far upriver as Kingston. This marker is located on Route 9D about 1 mile northeast of the Putnam-Westchester County line. (Photo by Michelle McEwen)

Sugar Loaf

This small fort at Sugar Loaf was manned by 130 soldiers as a part of the line of forts that stretched from Peekskill north to defend West Point and prevent possible British control of the Hudson. This marker is located on Route 9D about 1 mile south of Garrison Four Corners. (Photo by Michelle McEwen)

South Redoubt

The South Redoubt was one of two redoubts in Garrison that served as a reconnaissance outpost from which Washington’s forces spied on the enemy’s moves and a station from which signal fires were burned to call tenant farmers to arms. This marker is located on Route 403 at South Redoubt Road. (Photo by Michelle McEwen)

Robinson House

Commander of West Point Benedict Arnold lived at the house of Beverly Robinson (a prominent member of the Philipse family and a loyalist) while he arranged to deliver the plans to the forts at West Point to the British. When Arnold learned that Gen. Washington would discover his treason, he fled from the Robinson House to British protection. Arnold eventually escaped to England, where he lived the remainder of his life. This marker is located on Route 9D, less than one mile south of Garrison Four Corners. (Photo by Michelle McEwen)

Putnam County

Putnam County, located on Route 9 at the Putnam-Westchester county line. When the American Revolution broke out in 1775, General Israel Putnam was appointed a major general in the Continental Army. He was put in charge of American defenses in the Hudson Highlands during 1777. Under his command, Forts Montgomery and Clinton fell to the British. (Photo by Clayton Smith)

Connecticut Line

Connecticut Line, located on Route 301 at the east end of Nelsonville. Troops were encamped on either side of the brook at this site during the winter of 1780-1781. (Photo by Clayton Smith)

Arnold’s Flight

Arnold’s Flight, located on Route 9D about 3/4 miles south of Desmond-Fish Library, Garrison. During the Revolutionary War, it was near this spot that Benedict Arnold rowed out to the British ship The Vulture and became an American traitor. (Photo by Clayton Smith)

Army Camp

The sign points in the direction where, a half mile farther, the Connecticut Line encamped along the brook while West Point defenses were being built in 1781. The marker is located on Route 9D about 1.5 miles south of Cold Spring. (Photo by Michelle McEwen)


HOW WE REPORT
Trust MarkThe Current is a member of The Trust Project, a consortium of news outlets that has adopted standards to allow readers to more easily assess the credibility of their journalism. Our best practices, including our verification and correction policies, can be accessed here. Have a comment? A news tip? Spot an error? Email editor@highlandscurrent.org.

Comments are closed.