Putnam County Sheriff Donald B. Smith asks residents and visitors to take precautionary measures while enjoying autumn in Putnam County.
The fall season attracts many people. Many use the Putnam County Rail Trail, while others hike on the trails of Breakneck Mountain and Fahnestock State Park. Indeed, this time of year offers beautiful places to ride a bicycle, walk or jog.
Therefore, Sheriff Smith offers the following safety tips:
- Wear bright-colored clothing, especially near hunting areas.
- Plan your trip. Let someone know where you are going and when you are expected to return.
- Familiarize yourself with the area you plan to visit, knowing the existing terrain and potential hazards.
- Always bring water and a fully charged cellular telephone with you.
- Avoid going alone. Take another person with you so you will have the benefit of the “buddy system.”
- Plan to return from your activity before darkness falls.
- Report any suspicious activity to the Putnam County Sheriff’s Office at 845-225-4300, the state police or a local police department.
- Dial 9-1-1 to report any emergency.
“Putnam County is a beautiful place all year round,” Smith said. “It is especially enjoyable when we see the bright-colored foliage that the autumn season offers. Using a common-sense approach when taking day trips and adhering to simple rules of safety will make outdoor activities more pleasurable and will ensure your safety.”