Family escapes but loses home
By Kevin E. Foley
Local residents were reminded anew of the critical importance of volunteer firefighters when an emergency call went out, sirens blared and smoke wafted through Parrott Street in Cold Spring late Monday afternoon (May 18).
The incident was a fire at 54 Parrott St., a private one-family residence in a neighborhood of houses fairly close together as with much of the village.
The Cold Spring Fire Company was first on the scene at approximately 4 p.m. By then the Santos family, mother and children, had safely evacuated their home.
Anxious neighbors stood by offering what comfort they could to the victims, while worrying about a possible spread of the flames to other homes.
Before long, companies from North Highlands, Garrison, Putnam Valley and a large ladder truck from the Fishkill Fire Company joined the mutual aid effort to put out a stubborn fire that appeared to make a total wreck of the house.
By 5:30 p.m., the fire appeared under control as firefighters entered the structure with an array of power saws, axes and claws to root out hidden flames or smoldering wood.
Until the donation needs of the family are made clear, what is most needed is donations of gift certificate cards to local stores: Foodtown, ShopRite, Wal-Mart, etc., and/or cash donations, so that they can purchase what they need most. Checks made out to “Melissa and Darrin Santos” may be mailed c/o the Philipstown Little Leagues addresss: P.O. Box 347, Cold Spring, NY 10516, or dropped off at the collection points of 134 East Mountain Road South and 26 Bank St. Further information on possible clothing and supplies most needed will be published here as it is obtained.
Photos and video by K.E. Foley