Homicide believed to be first since 2010
By Jeff Simms
A man was shot and killed in Beacon on Aug. 22, marking the first homicide in the city since 2010.
Police Chief Douglas Solomon confirmed on Wednesday that a 25-year-old male was shot once in the torso at the Davies South Terrace apartment complex around 9:30 p.m. He was transported to St. Luke’s Cornwall Hospital in Newburgh, where he was pronounced dead. The victim’s name was not released. Solomon told the Poughkeepsie Journal the victim was not a resident of Beacon but had “ties to the area.”
The complex where the shooting took place is located off Davies Avenue in Beacon, between South Avenue and Wolcott Avenue/Route 9D.
“We don’t think this was a random act,” Solomon said. “Whether there’s spin-off from this remains to be seen.”
Solomon told the Poughkeepsie paper that the department was looking into any link between that killing and the death of a 28-year-old Beacon man who was injured by a gunshot the next day (Aug. 23) near Grand and Catherine streets in Newburgh.
Anyone with information on either shooting should call Beacon police at 845-831-4111.
Citing state records and its archives, The Journal reported that the killing was the first fatal shooting in Beacon since 2007. A non-fatal shooting was reported earlier this year and a man was stabbed to death in 2010.