Many old firehouses have been torn down or renovated to accommodate growing populations and improved lifesaving equipment. The ones that remain range in style from Renaissance and Gothic Revival to more utilitarian modes of the time they were built.
The Mase Hook & Ladder Co. in Beacon, built in 1911, at 425 Main St. has features of Federalist and New York Gothic Revival style.
The garage annex at the Village of Fishkill fire station on Route 52
The central tower of the Mahopac Falls station
Firehouse architectural detail, Beacon
Beacon Engine Station 1 at 57 E. Main St., built in 1889
The former Lewis Tompkins Hose Co. at 162 Main St., in Beacon, now home to Hudson Beach Glass
The old Nelsonville fire bell
Haldane Academy's morning classes will be held in the Mabel Merritt Building. (Photo by M. Turton)