Philipstown Soccer Club Results (Week 8)


U16 Chargers 5, Beekman 2
U14 Warriors 7, Mount Vernon 3
U13 Arsenal 8, Poughkeepsie 2
U11 Strikers 1, New Paltz 0
East Fishkill 3, U9 Force 2
East Fishkill 1, U8 Storm 0


U13 Raptors 4, LaGrange 0
Southern Ulster 4, U12 Phoenix 1

Game recaps provided by Philipstown Soccer Club

U16 Charges Defeat Beekman, 5-2

The Philipstown Boys U16 Chargers had their final match of the season versus the Beekman Red Bulls this past Sunday, and they came to play.

Five minutes into the action, middie Alek Maasik jumped in front of a Beekman defensive clear, sending the ball to a well-placed Luke Hammond who one-touched the first score of the day, 1-0 Chargers. Ten minutes later the tandem paired up again when Maasik sent a thru pass to Hammond who dribbled past a defender, sending another shot past the Red Bulls keeper, 2-0 Chargers. A few minutes later, after a misplaced clear from the Chargers defense, the Red Bulls got on the board, 2-1. The home team charged back when Luke Wimer sent a pass to Kyle Mayo for a shot off the outside of his foot, Chargers up 3-1. The Red Bulls countered with one more score before the half.

Collin Eng-Wong, Elias Henderson, Hudson Lovell, Quinn Petkus, Ben Strol and Rex Young played tough and were able to maintain a shut-out for Philipstown in the second half along with combined goalkeeping by John O’Donnell and Gabe Keller. O’Donnell also showed some flash on the field taking a few shots in his season debut at striker, along with Hayden Mayer’s speedy runs. The Chargers put a capper on the game when Henderson shot a hard cross from 35-yards out to a charging Maasik who one-touched a volley for a brilliant strike, Chargers up 4-2. The final goal came when Lovell blasted a shot off the Red Bulls keeper, and Hammond was there to knock-in his third goal for the hat-trick. Final score Philipstown Chargers 5, Beekman Red Bulls 2.

Warriors Enjoy Win vs. Mount Vernon

The Philipstown Boys U14 Warriors had a decisive win against Spirit of Mount Vernon Lightning at home Sunday. The Warriors came on the field with a strong offense led by Christian Moreno who landed the first goal on a penalty shot. He quickly followed up with a second goal after some good passing by middies Daniel Carlos, John Weatherup and Owen Edelson. Mount Vernon couldn’t get near the net thanks to the solid defensive line held by Graeme McGrath, Luca Van Dommele, Charlie Keegan and Paolo Coumans.

The half progressed with Gus Grossman scoring goal number three and Moreno finding the net again, bringing the score to 4-0 Philipstown. Carlos and striker Zachary Canova took repeated shots on goal and August Lee and Senen Scott-Hamblen held the middle. McGrath sent the ball up the line where Moreno received it and scored again. Keegan ran interference, preventing Mount Vernon from getting near the net and the ball moved up the field to Gael Frezza who nailed the sixth goal for the Warriors. Mount Vernon was able to take one shot on goal which was handily stopped by goalie Jack Gordineer as the half ended.

The Warriors continued to dominate at the opening of the second half and Moreno brought the score to 7, scoring a hat-trick plus one for the day. Eventually, Mount Vernon landed a few goals of their own and the game closed with a final score of 7-3 Philipstown.

Arsenal Defeat Poughkeepsie 8-2

The Philipstown Boys U13 Arsenal traveled north Sunday to play against the Poughkeepsie Igniters. The Gunners set the tone early when middie, Colin August won the ball and passed to Stefano Hammond. Hammond sent a through ball to teammate Evan Maasik who powered past his defender and put Philipstown up 1-0 less than a minute in. Poughkeepsie played tough and was able to get the equalizer at the eight-minute mark.

Arsenal’s Ryan Eng-Wong won the ball four minutes later and sent a beautiful cross to striker, Stefano Hammond who put a clever finish on the ball to take the lead, 2-1 for Philipstown. Near the end of the first half Matthew Nachamkin took a brilliant corner kick that was brought down by Hammond. Hammond sent a pass to Maasik on the left who blasted a shot past the Poughkeepsie keeper to bring Philipstown up at the half, 3-1. The Arsenal team continued their relentless attack when, only a minute in the second half, Chase Mayer won the ball and passed to August. August received the ball, cut past a defender and fired a rocket shot that ricocheted off the crossbar and into the back of the Igniters’ net. The early goal opened the floodgates on multiple Philipstown goals. August sent a pass up the middle to Tomas Struck who sprinted past the Poughkeepsie defenders and took a shot that bounced off the right post for a goal.

Mayer sent a quality pass to Eng-Wong on the right wing who dribbled around two defenders on his way to the goal and smashed the ball into the back of the net. This was followed up by another stellar Nachamkin corner that was headed in for a goal by Danny Urbanak. Patrick DiNardo, Rowen Kuzminski, Stephen Robinson, Roy Smith, Aidan Sullivan-Hoch, and David Tacuri were outstanding at keeping the ball in Poughkeepsie territory and allowing only one more Poughkeepsie goal in the second half. Philipstown scored one more time in the waning minutes of the game when Maasik won a dropball and cut through the Igniters’ defense to blast the Gunners’ eighth goal for the hat-trick, bringing the final score to Philipstown 8, Poughkeepsie 2.

Strikers Come Away with the “W” vs. New Paltz

In a hard-fought battle, the Philipstown Boys U11 Strikers exited the field Sunday with plenty of scrapes, bruises, and cuts, but they were not without smiles. The young team defeated the New Paltz Griffins in an evenly matched game with only one goal scored the entire time. Throughout the first half, it was a heavy defensive game. Coach Danielle Pack McCarthy’s strategy to rotate players into defensive positions kept players fresh and strong, and New Paltz fought equally hard, reading the ball well. Going into halftime, the score remained 0-0. But early in the second half, Colin Delabie scored a goal off of a beautiful penalty kick to the top right-hand corner of the net.

With Philipstown up 1-0, the back-and-forth battle continued throughout the remainder of the game. Strikers’ goalie, Ronan Kiter, fought to keep every single ball out of the net. He was spot-on for the entire game, making diving saves, perfect catches, and swift deflections at every turn. In the end, the Strikers kept their undefeated status intact, with the 1-0 win. The team is now 8-0 for the season!

U9 Force Come up Short

The Philipstown Boys U9 Force lost a close match to the East Fishkill Warriors on a cool windy day this past Sunday. The Force jumped out to an early lead when Roth Westphal took a pass from Bryce O’Halloran and put it in the back of the net. Philipstown was unable to keep the lead as the Warriors answered with three goals over the next 35 minutes to take a commanding lead. Diego DiGiglio and Lucky Bell played great midfield for the Force and Owen Sullivan-Hoch helped keep the middle of the defense sound. In the last minute, Westphal again found the back of the net to cut the deficit to one goal. The excitement was short-lived however as the referee blew the final whistle just before the kickoff. A tough 2-3 loss for the young Philipstown team who are having an amazing first season.

Storm Play East Fishkill Tough

The Philipstown Boys U8 Storm played the East Fishkill Cobras this past Sunday. East Fishkill scored the game’s only goal and Philipstown’s Oliver Sanders almost scored an equalizer when he took a beautiful shot on goal that was blocked at the last second by the able Fishkill goalie. With great teamwork from the Storm and masterful goalkeeping by Connor Keegan, the final score remained 1-0, East Fishkill. This result was a far cry from their previous match-up, a 0-7 loss against Fishkill. Despite the loss it was a great game for Team Storm who has proven they are a force to be reckoned with, making their coaches and soccer parents very proud.

Oliver Sanders (in gray) takes a shot on goal against East Fishkill in a Philipstown Soccer Club game on Nov. 6. East Fishkill defeated the U8 Storm, 1-0. (Photo by Sheila Williams)

Oliver Sanders (in gray) takes a shot on goal against East Fishkill in a Philipstown Soccer Club game on Nov. 6. East Fishkill defeated the U8 Storm, 1-0. (Photo by Sheila Williams)

Raptors Lock Down LaGrange Again, 4-0

The Philipstown Girls U13 Raptors traveled to cold and windy LaGrange Sunday and left after sunset with their second 4-0 win against the Fury this fall. Once again dealing with injury and illness, the Raptors played the Fury without substitutes, but still managed the game handily, relying on its strong defense and four goals from midfielder Brynn Martin. The Raptors dominated possession and had multiple shots on goal from forwards Bianca Harmancin, Emilia Osborn and Katie Shields. Credit goes to the entire defensive line of Mazzie Maxwell, Sophia Scanga, Maya Osborn, Zoe Harris, and Eden Feinstein, as well as midfielders, Ella Ashburn and Martin, for continuing to feed the ball into the corners and box.

The Raptors broke through in the 21st minute when Raptor forward Harmancin sent a ball in from the left-hand side that ricocheted off a defender and onto the left foot of Martin, who sent the ball low and hard past the Fury goalie. Five minutes later, Martin intercepted a goalie kick, and seeing the Fury goalie out of position, lofted the ball from 25 yards out over the quickly retreating goalie and into the net. Raptor defender Feinstein helped Martin secure her hat trick, and a 3-0 Raptor halftime lead, by intercepting a LaGrange clear and then sending a perfect cross to Martin, who tapped it into the net.

The Raptors continued their dominating play in the second half, with many near misses, save for Martin’s fourth goal, which came on a dazzling cross from forward, Emilia Osborn that Martin struck into the net from 14 yards out. With the wind at their backs, LaGrange found a little offensive daylight during the second half, but Raptor goalie Dosi Weed deftly snuffed out all threats struck her way, controlling the box and recording her second shutout of the season, with a final score of Philipstown 4, LaGrange 0. After a bye week, the Raptors look to avenge an earlier season 3-4 loss against Washingtonville at Haldane on November 20.

Phoenix Host Southern Ulster Snow Leopards

The Philipstown Girls U12 Phoenix took on the Southern Ulster Snow Leopards this past Sunday in an exciting match. Play was tough on both sides and the Phoenix defense was kept busy by the Snow Leopards’ offense. Kate Meisner, Walker Tinsley, Megan Ferreira, Josie Foley-Hedlund, and Isabella Lukic did a great job holding Southern Ulster off, as did first-half goalkeeper Ruby Poses. However, midway through the half, the Snow Leopards got lucky on a tricky play that turned into an own-goal against the Phoenix.

The Phoenix were resilient, though, and put more pressure on Southern Ulster in an attempt to tie the score. After Southern Ulster tallied a second goal, the Phoenix finally managed to break through. Philipstown’s first goal came after some great attempts by offenders Vanja Booth, Amber Skye-Korcz, Clara Tripp, Dylan Ambrose, Morgan Serrand, and Caroline Nelson, which gave the Phoenix some momentum. A corner kick by forward Finola Kiter gave the Phoenix the perfect opportunity to strike back, but they couldn’t find the back of the net until Maggie Gordineer buried a beautiful penalty kick to tally her first goal of the season and make the score 2-1.

Just before the halftime whistle, the Snow Leopards scored to make it 3-1. The second half was a tough battle and the Phoenix fought even harder to get back in it. Unfortunately, the second goal that Philipstown scored was called off-sides, and then the Snow Leopards managed to tally another goal as well. The final score was 4-1, but the Phoenix walked away knowing that they put up a great fight.

Comments are closed.