Philipstown Soccer Club (Week 2)

Results from April 9 travel soccer contests

Game summaries provided by Philipstown Soccer Club:

Chargers tally first win of season

The U16 Philipstown Chargers took the field at Haldane on April 9 to face off against their northern neighbors, Beacon United.

Beacon was first on the board 30 minutes in when their leading scorer turned and made a nice shot to go up 1-0. From that moment on, however, the Chargers defense took over. The defense was led by Quinn Petkus, who did a great job marking Beacon’s strongest player, and Elias Henderson, who ran the offsides trap to perfection.

The Chargers evened the table just after the half when midfielder Alek Maasik made a nice pass to Kyle Mayo who dribbled into the 18-yard area and blasted a strike to make it 1-1. Seizing on the momentum, the Chargers continued to apply pressure. Keeper John O’Donnell made some great saves and contributed with an assist to striker Taheim McCormick who sprinted past the Beacon defense and put a smart shot on net to make it 2-1 Chargers.

The final goal for the Chargers started from an indirect kick and saw a great lead pass from Henderson to McCormick who beat the Beacon keeper in the race to the ball. The game ended with the Philipstown Chargers prevailing by a final score of 3-1.

Arsenal Starts Season with 10 Men, Drops Opener

The Philipstown Boys U13 Arsenal travel soccer team took a hit from spring break and illness on April 9 as they took the field in their season opener Sunday against the Southern Ulster Tigers with only 10 players.

Despite playing a man down, Philipstown came out strong from the opening whistle. At the nine-minute mark, Arsenal opened the scoring when midfielder Evan Maasik received the ball and dribbled through the Tigers’ defense before launching a cross to teammate Colin August. August controlled the cross and blasted a shot home to take an early 1-0 lead for Philipstown.

The outstanding Arsenal defense and offense worked hard to maintain possession of the ball and was able to keep the score at 1-0 going into the half. In the second half, Philipstown was unable to put another goal on the scoreboard and Southern Ulster capitalized on their ability to rest their players to tie the game at the 18-minute mark. When a Philipstown player went down with an injury, the team had to play two men down.

The final minutes of the game proved too much for Arsenal as the Tigers scored two more goals in rapid succession, bringing the final score of the game to Southern Ulster 3, Philipstown 1.

Raptors Fall to Red Hook, 4-3

The Red Hook Storm prevailed on April 9 against the Philipstown Raptors, who were inches away from the tying goal on several occasions despite playing without substitutes.

The Raptor’s goalie, Dosi Weed, kept her team in the game during the first half, recording 8 saves against the Storm, and Raptor forward Bianca Harmancin recorded her first hat trick, accounting for all of the Raptor goals.

Although the Storm had the clear edge in quality chances, the Raptors tallied first. Harmancin broke through on a counterattack, punching through Red Hook’s backline to deposit the game’s first goal to the right of the diving Red Hook goalie. Red Hook would tie the game before the half, which ended at 1-1. Red Hook began the second half with two quick goals to go up 3-1. The backline of Mazzie Maxwell, Zoe Harris, Maya Osborn and Ella Ashburn played gamely, but the Storm’s passing, particularly on the third tally, proved too much.

The Raptors got their second goal of this physical game when Red Hook took down Harmancin in the box, resulting in a penalty shot that Harmancin calmly scored. The Raptors could not maintain the 1-goal deficit, however, as Red Hook scored again to move the score to 4-2. With three minutes left in the game, Harmancin lofted a shot over the Red Hook goalie for her third goal, narrowing the score to 4-3.

With intense pressure from forward Emilia Osborn and midfielders Lili Westerhuis and Camille Maglio, the Raptors came close to a fourth goal—Katie Shields twice hit the post, and Brynn Martin was denied at point blank range by a hustling Red Hook defender—but Red Hook held on. The Raptors look to rebound on April 23 at 2 p.m. at Haldane against Beekman.

Comments are closed.