Philipstown Soccer Club (Week 4)


Beekman 7, U8 Storm 0
U13 Arsenal 8, Pawling 1
Washingtonville 4, U16 Chargers 3
Goshen 5, U19 Parrott’s Old Boys 0


U13 Raptors 3, Shrub Oak 2
Warwick 5, U19 Fire 0

Game summaries provided by Philipstown Soccer Club:

U13 Arsenal Defeat Pawling

The Philipstown Boys U13 Arsenal hosted the Pawling Lightning on April 30 and put on a show for the hometown fans.

Arsenal won the coin toss and quickly established possession with crisp team passing. Pawling’s defense hung tough and held Arsenal scoreless for the first 20 minutes of the half, but Philipstown was relentless on the attack. Finally, Arsenal middies Evan Maasik and Tim Ben Adi combined on a flawless give-and-go. Ben Adi sent a perfect leading pass down the left wing for Maasik, who cut through the defense before launching a shot that found the right side of the Pawling goal to open up the scoring.

At the 24-minute mark, Colin August took a forceful shot from the right wing that was deflected across the goal box. Arsenal middie Danny Urbanak made a smart run to the far post and crushed a shot past the Lightning keeper.

The Philipstown defensive juggernaut of Patrick DiNardo, Matthew Nachamkin, Stephen Robinson, Aidan Sullivan-Hoch, David Tacuri and first-half goalkeeper Chase Mayer were able to deny all of Pawling’s attempts on the Arsenal goal to bring the first half to a close with the score at Philipstown 2, Pawling 0.

The second half proved to be more of the same with Philipstown dominating possession from the starting whistle. At the one-minute mark, August stole the ball and passed to Robinson. Robinson dished to Nachamkin who sent a low well-paced through ball that Maasik ran on to and finished low and to the right of the Pawling goalie to bring the score to 3-0.

Less than a minute later, Maasik crossed the ball to teammate Chase Mayer at the far left post who scored Philipstown’s fourth goal by tucking the ball into the back of the net with his left foot. Immediately adding insult to injury, Philipstown’s Ben Adi stole the ball off the kickoff and passed to Maasik who ricocheted a shot that went off both posts before going in to complete his hat-trick and upping the score to 5-0. Minutes later, Philipstown was awarded a free kick that DiNardo launched to teammate Ryan Eng-Wong. Eng-Wong brought the ball down the left side of the field, and with a clever left-footed finish put in Philipstown’s sixth goal.

Arsenal middies, August, Ben Adi, Eng-Wong, Stefano Hammond, Maasik, Mayer Nachamkin, Robinson and Roy Smith controlled the center of the field, stringing together intricate passing plays with speed and precision. At the end of one of those possessions, Maasik sent a through pass to Chase Mayer who beat his defender and put a strong finish on the ball for his second goal of the game.

Much to their credit, Pawling never gave up and scored 22 minutes into the half but Philipstown answered with yet another goal near the end of the game when Eng-Wong returned the favor by assisting DiNardo, who made a sublime run through the Lightning defense and kicked a rocket shot into the back of the Pawling net to bring the final score to Philipstown 8, Pawling 1.

Storm Forecast

The Philipstown Boys U8 Storm showed a valiant and gutsy effort but were out-skilled by a smooth and precise Beekman Rebels team on April 30. The Storm’s defense, led by Griffin Lucca, Oliver Sanders, and Lenny Wolfe, made spectacular plays to ward off a blistering offensive attack by the Rebels. With Henry Foley-Hedlund’s at times steady hands and impressive pull downs in the goal where he played the entire game, the Storm’s defense overall looked even better than they had last week. The offensive line – led by Gavin Mahoney, Rys Williams, Joey DeMarco, and Theo Saks – got their groove on in the second half and kept running and gunning at full throttle.

DeMarco, Sanders, Mahoney, and Williams fired some dynamic shots that several times nearly led to their first goal. The coordinated and disciplined Team Rebels were up 4-0 at halftime but Team Storm showed more heart and hustle in the second half against the Rebels with several shots just falling short or hitting the post. In the end, Beekman was terrific and the Storm played their hearts out and left it all out on the field in a well-played team effort. The final was Beekman Rebels 7, Philipstown Storm 0.

Chargers Battle Washingtonville To Final Whistle

The boys’ U16 Chargers had an exciting back-and-forth match versus the Washingtonville United soccer team on April 30. Washingtonville was first to get on the board at the 15-minute mark, after several offside calls went against the Chargers. Once an additional line referee arrived to help with the opposite side of the field, things started to even out and the Chargers took control of the game.

Zack Maher took an indirect kick and presented a beautiful ball to a running center-mid Alek Maasik who two touched the ball and chipped over the Washingtonville keeper’s head to tie the score at 1-1. The Chargers were not done scoring yet, as Kyle Salva blasted a shot off the United post to Tahiem McCormick, who deposited the ball in the back of the net, making the score 2-1.

Salva and McCormick connected again a few minutes later on a cross to make the score 3-1 at the end of the half. The defense, led by Elias Henderson also made some great plays, including several near goals by the United that were repelled by fullbacks Hayden Mayer and Benjamin Strol. The Chargers faced a regrouped United team for the second half, as the visitors got on the board early.

Keeper John O’Donnell made some magnificent saves including on a penalty kick, keeping the Chargers in the game. Unfortunately, the defense of the Chargers started to struggle and gave up three additional goals as the clock wound down. The Chargers offense was able to create several opportunities and crosses, including a few off the United goalpost, but they could not get another one into the net. The home team continue to pressure and had a last-minute break by McCormick who appeared to be knocked over as he was shooting on the goal, yet the whistle remained silent until the final moment, leaving the score Galaxy 4, Chargers 3.

Old Boys Singin’ the Blues

After a short-handed game last week, the U19 Parrott’s Old Boys hit the road again in search of the season’s first win. Unfortunately, once again a short roster was their worst enemy, with only 10 players available to take on the fully loaded Goshen Blue Crew. In a show of early confidence, the team played remarkably well, possessing and defending, with goalkeeper Ted Northup shutting down every attempt by the Blue Crew.

The fast-paced and physical game saw exciting play on both ends of the pitch for 40 minutes of scoreless soccer. After an injury, the Old Boys, playing with just nine players, were unable to hold off an overweighted offensive push by Goshen, and the half ended with Goshen up 1-0. Within 5 minutes of the start of second half, the Blue Crew hit two unanswered goals, and with tired legs and an uphill climb, the Old Boys were unable to hold off Goshen for the second 45 minutes, and the game ended 5-0. In good spirits and looking forward to playing on their home turf, the boys will host New Paltz on May 7 at Haldane.

Raptors Gel and Finally Take Down Shrub Oak Sparta, 3-2

After two one-goal losses, the Raptors were in sore need of an overall strong game, and they received it on April 30, beating the Shrub Oak Sparta 3-2 with playmaking, strong communication, and a superior overall team effort against a disciplined and talented Shrub Oak squad that had not lost to the Raptors in three previous seasons. The playmaking that was lacking in the first two games was on full display, and led to the game’s first goal in the 15th minute with crisp passes from midfielder Katie Shields to center forward Brynn Martin and then to left forward Bianca Harmancin, who left-footed a shot passed the Sparta goalie.

Sparta would tie the score 1-1 in the half’s 26th minute on a fabulously struck ball from a difficult angle that hit side net. It would take a fabulous save by the Sparta goalie on a Martin-to-Harmancin cross to preserve the 1-1 first half score. Minutes into the second half, the Raptors grabbed their second goal, again on sharp passes from right forward Emilia Osborn to Martin to Harmancin, who beat the Sparta goalie for her second goal of the game and league-leading sixth of the season. Sparta would tie it up on another side net goal, this time following a tough handball call in the box.

But Raptor goalie Dosi Weed and defensive stalwarts Sophia Scanga, Mazzie Maxwell, Maya Osborn and Ella Ashburn shut the door thereafter, and the Sparta never threatened to score again. Raptor midfielders Camille Maglio, Zoe Harris, Lili Westerhuis, and Eden Feinstein turned in their most complete game, with extraordinary first-to-the-ball hustle and savvy back passes that allowed their defensive line to engage offensively.

One such back pass to defender Maya Osborn led to the game-winning goal, when Osborn lofted the ball over the midfield to an awaiting Martin, who trapped it, spun through two defenders, and beat the advancing Sparta goalie with a sliding punch kick that accounted for the final goal, bringing the score to 3-2, and giving the Raptors their first victory of the season. The Raptors will look to build on their inspiring play on May 7 at 2 p.m. at Poughkeepsie.

Fire Snuffed Out Versus Warwick

The Philipstown GHS Girls Fire traveled to face the Warwick Fusion, losing 5-0 after a spirited game. The Fire played with maximum effort, but was not rewarded for the scoring chances they created. The hardworking Jamie Calimano, who held down the midfield play, led the team. Molly Reid is also finding her game and played very well. Val Scanga shined in goal for the Fire, and thwarted attempts left and right. The Fire looks for home-field advantage as they take on the Carmel Chaos on May 7 at Philipstown Park.

Comments are closed.