Philipstown Soccer Club (Week 3)

Poughkeepsie 2, U14 Arsenal 1
U9 Vikings 2, Fishkill 2

Arsenal Fall to Poughkeepsie in Close Match

The boys U14 Philipstown Arsenal soccer team played home this Sunday against the Poughkeepsie Incinerators in an equally matched game.

Arsenal started strong with a goal delivered by Colin August within the first three minutes of the game. Holding strong with the aid of the defense — David Tacuri, Ezra Beato, Patrick DiNardo, Dan Carlos, Aidan Sullivan-Hoch and Stephen Robinson and skillful goalie Danny Urbanak — the Gunners kept their opponents at bay until a goal scored by the Incinerators at 12 minutes, tying up the game at the half.

During the second half of the game Arsenal middies Chase Mayer, Evan Maasik, Tim Ben Adi and Ryan Eng Wong worked to distribute the ball and pressure the opposing goalie, making for some nail-biting moments, but the Incinerators defense was able to hold strong. Poughkeepsie eventually scored their second goal with only five minutes remaining. The Arsenal gave it their all and delivered a suspenseful game.

Vikings Come from Behind for Tie

Despite its aggressive offense, the Vikings (U9 boys) were never able to gain full control of the home match versus the East Fishkill Extreme who took a 2-0 lead early in the first half. But, the relentless attacks of the Vikings did yield positive results nonetheless. Pressing upfield, Vikings center Darwin Saquipay found a way to score, putting his team within sight of a Vikings comeback. And it was his teammate Connor Keegan who secured the Vikings comeback with a goal of his own to level the match at 2-2 before halftime.

While the second half saw many opportunities for the Extreme to score, they were unsuccessful in their attempts to do so. The Vikings defense had locked down its end of the field. Dominating defense from Joseph DeMarco and goalie Patrick Shields kept their opponents scoreless for the entire second half. The Vikings had numerous opportunities of their own to score and win the match, but none of their attempts produced a goal either.

The match concluded in a 2-2 stalemate with the Extreme. Now 1-1-1, the Vikings will next meet their fellow Philipstown companions on team Storm in a head-to-head club match at home on Sunday, May 6, at noon.

Summaries provided by Philipstown Soccer Club.

Comments are closed.