To register to vote, you must:
- Be a U.S. citizen.
- Be 18 years old by Dec. 31 of the year in which you register, and 18 years old by the date of the election in which you plan to vote.
- Live at your present address at least 30 days before an election.
- Not be in prison.
- Not be adjudged mentally incompetent by a court
- Not claim the right to vote elsewhere.
You can register to vote:
- By calling 845-808-1300 (in Putnam County) or 845-486-2473 (in Dutchess County) to request a registration form, or
- By downloading the form at putnamboe.com (for Putnam) or dutchesselections.com (for Dutchess).
- You can also use the form to change your name or address, enroll in a political party or change your party enrollment. The latter must be filed at least 25 days before the general election and will go into effect seven days after the election.
- The deadline is Friday, Oct. 12, to register for the general election, which takes place on Tuesday, Nov. 6.