Protestors held a joint Black Live Matters/Pride rally and march in Carmel on Monday (June 22).
(1) State Sen. Pete Harckham, a Democrat whose district includes eastern Putnam County, spoke at a rally at Spain Cornerstone Park.
(2) Wilfredo Morel of Peekskill Pride spoke during a rally on the steps of the historic courthouse.
(3) Emily Sullivan, a high school student from Brewster, also spoke from the steps. Sullivan earlier this month launched a petition to call for the dismissal of a Brewster school board member, Krista Berardi, who had posted on Facebook that Black Lives Matter protestors who blocked I-84 should be “hosed.” Berardi resigned on June 11.
(4) The Rev. Martha Vink of the Drew United Methodist Church in Carmel held a Pride banner on the steps, which she shared with Black Lives Matter protestors.
(5) At sunset, the courthouse was lit with a rainbow of changing colors, a symbol of gay pride, which continued each night through the week.
Photos by Laurie Doppman