Foundry Declared National Landmark

National Parks Service bestows honor

The West Point Foundry Preserve in Cold Spring has named designated a national landmark by the National Parks Service, which could help the site receive federal preservation funds.

The 93-acre preserve off Kemble Avenue in Cold Spring is owned by Scenic Hudson. The foundry operated from 1818 to 1911 and was contracted after the War of 1812 and during the Civil War to provide the U.S. government with cannons and ammunition. President Abraham Lincoln visited in 1862.

The foundry also produced machinery for the cotton and sugar industries and the cast-iron pipes for New York City’s first water system.

The Foundry Preserve will host a celebration and guided tour from 10 a.m. to noon on Saturday (Nov. 13). It is located at 80 Kemble Ave.

Leave a Reply

The Current welcomes comments on its coverage and local issues. Submissions are selected by the editor to provide a variety of opinions and voices, and all are subject to editing for accuracy, clarity and length. We ask that writers remain civil and avoid personal attacks. Submissions must include your first and last name (no pseudonyms), as well as a valid email address (which will not be published). Please allow up to 24 hours for an approved submission to be posted. All online comments may also appear in print.