After 61 years, The Garrison Golf Club closed Nov. 28 following a final, snow-swept member tournament organized by pro Joe Spivak. Before it opened for golf around 1960, the site was home to Bill Brown’s Physical Training Farm, a resort for men that opened in 1915. Raymond O’Rourke III collected these and other photos of the Training Farm from The Garrison, the Putnam History Museum and the Brown family for a 2012 school project. Chris Davis, who owns the golf course, has donated the land to the Hudson Valley Shakespeare Festival and the Hudson Highlands Land Trust.
The entrance off Route 9
A drawing of the entrance
The entrance on Route 9
The entrance on Philipsbrook Road
What would become the 15th hole
A view from the campus
The lawn and tennis courts
The massage and locker room
The lake at Brown's
Brown's in the 1950s
An early map of the course
Take the plunge. Become a member.
The Current is a nonprofit enterprise.
It has always been provided free to the community.
Members contribute 70% of our revenue.
Memberships start at $24 and come with benefits! Please join us, or renew.