Public invited to visit on Sept. 3
Following the free guided tour of West Point Foundry Preserve at 11 a.m. on Saturday, Sept. 3, the historic Chapel Restoration in Cold Spring will open its doors to the public from 12:30 to 2:30 pm. Located on a promontory overlooking the Hudson just west of the Cold Spring train station, the chapel is a 10-minute walk from the preserve and offers panoramic river views.
The Greek Revival Chapel was designed by a young immigrant architect and completed in 1834 to serve the West Point Foundry’s Irish Catholic workers. The structure was expanded in the 1860s and 1870s and abandoned in 1907 when the congregation moved to Our Lady of Loretto in Cold Spring. Today the Chapel Restoration is a non-profit organization unaffiliated with any religion and maintained by a volunteer board.