Ceremony to take place at tower on summit
The Mount Beacon Fire Tower Restoration Committee announces the grand opening of the Historic Mount Beacon Fire Tower on Saturday, June 22, 2 p.m. in a ceremony at the fire tower on Mount Beacon.
For transportation, meet at 1 p.m. on the corner of Howland Avenue and Wolcott Street (Route 9D) in Beacon, in the parking area and trail head across from the Corner Deli. In the event of rain, the Elks Club at 900 Wolcott Ave. or the Scenic Hudson River Center at 8 Long Dock Road will be the alternative location for the ceremony.
The Mount Beacon Fire Tower is listed on both the state and National Registry for Historic Places and the National Historic Lookout Register. It was one of several erected by New York to protect state-owned forests in the early 20th century.
Since its completion in 1931 till the end of the 1972 fire season, the New York State Bureau of Forest Fire Control and then its successor, the Department of Environmental Conservation, operated the Mount Beacon Fire Tower. It was briefly put back into service in 1975 before being permanently decommissioned.
For more information about the Fire Tower Restoration Committee or the ceremony, visit beaconfiretower.org or contact Volunteer Project Manager David Rocco at firstname.lastname@example.org or 914-819-8792.