According to Sheriff Smith, the Putnam County Sheriff’s Office is investigating a number of residential burglaries occurring in several areas in the Town of Philipstown. Complainants told investigators that jewelry, computer equipment, and electronic devices have been stolen.
Sheriff Smith is asking for the public’s help in apprehending those responsible for the burglaries. “Our citizens are the eyes and ears of law enforcement,” he said. Anyone seeing a suspicious car or person in their neighborhood, or has information that may help lead to an arrest, is asked to call the Putnam County Sheriff’s Office at 845-225-4300. “All calls and information will be kept confidential,” said the sheriff.
Burglary prevention tips
- Make your home look occupied.
- Lock all outside doors and windows before leaving the house, even if it is for a short time.
- Lock all outside doors and windows before going to bed.
- Leave lights on when you go out at night. If you are going to be away for any length of time, connect some lamps to automatic timers to turn them on in the evening and off during the day.
- Keep your garage door closed and locked.
- Don’t allow daily deliveries of mail, newspapers or flyers to build up while you are away. Arrange for the Post Office to hold your mail, or arrange for a friend or neighbor to take it in regularly.
- Always report any suspicious activity to the Putnam County Sheriff’s Office at. 845-225-4300
HOW WE REPORT
The Current is a member of The Trust Project, a consortium of news outlets that has adopted standards to allow readers to more easily assess the credibility of their journalism. Our best practices, including our verification and correction policies, can be accessed here. Have a comment? A news tip? Spot an error? Email [email protected].