Putnam County Sheriff Donald B. Smith is asking residents and visitors to take precautionary measures while enjoying the autumn season in Putnam County.
The fall season attracts many people to view fall foliage in Putnam County. Many use the Putnam County Rail Trail, while others hike on the trails of the Hudson Highlands and Fahnestock State Park. Indeed, this time of year offers beautiful places to ride a bicycle, walk or jog. However, those participating in outdoor activities are urged to use safety precautions when preparing for such leisurely pursuits.
Sheriff Smith explained, “Using a common-sense approach when taking day trips and adhering to simple rules of safety will make outdoor activities more pleasurable and will ensure your safety.”
Therefore, Sheriff Smith is offering the following safety tips to ensure personal safety:
- Wear bright-colored clothing, especially near hunting areas.
- Preplan your trip. Let someone know where you are going and when you are expected to return.
- Familiarize yourself with the area you plan to visit, knowing the existing terrain and potential hazards.
- Always bring water and a fully charged cellphone with you.
- Avoid going alone. Take another person with you so you will have the benefit of the “buddy system.”
- Plan to return from your activity before darkness falls.
- Report any suspicious activity to the Putnam County Sheriff’s Office at 845-225-4300 or 845-265-9551 or a local police department.
- Dial 911 to report any emergency.
HOW WE REPORT
The Current is a member of The Trust Project, a consortium of news outlets that has adopted standards to allow readers to more easily assess the credibility of their journalism. Our best practices, including our verification and correction policies, can be accessed here. Have a comment? A news tip? Spot an error? Email [email protected].