Bridge Authority to Raise Tolls

The Bear Mountain Bridge (Photo by Larry Fitzpatrick)

Crossing fee will reach $2.15 by 2023

The board of commissioners of the New York State Bridge Authority at its December meeting unanimously approved raising tolls on the five Hudson Valley bridges it controls.

The 40-cent increase in the EZPass rate from $1.25 to $1.65 will be phased in over four years, the authority said, and the proceeds will help finance repairs of the Bear Mountain and Rip Van Winkle bridges, replacement of the Newburgh-Beacon Bridge’s north span deck and painting and paving projects, as well as the transition to all-electronic tolling.

The cash rate for each crossing will reach $2.15 in 2023, the authority said, which it said “will still be lower in inflation-adjusted dollars than tolls were when the authority began in the 1930s.” The first incremental increase in rates will take place on May 1.

The authority receives no tax funding; 97 percent of its money is from tolls and the other 3 percent from advertising, investments and other sources, it said.

3 thoughts on “Bridge Authority to Raise Tolls

  1. As much as I don’t like toll increases, I applaud the bridge authority’s ability to keep cost down unlike other entities around our state. Great financial planning and spending!

    • Sorry, the story has been updated to make it clearer. The EZPass rate will rise 10 cents per year over four years from $1.25 to $1.65 and the cash rate will rise from $1.50 to $2.15.

Leave a Reply

The Current welcomes comments on its coverage and local issues. Submissions are selected by the editor to provide a variety of opinions and voices, and all are subject to editing for accuracy, clarity and length. We ask that writers remain civil and avoid personal attacks. Submissions must include your first and last name (no pseudonyms), as well as a valid email address (which will not be published). Please allow up to 24 hours for an approved submission to be posted. All online comments may also appear in print.