Beacon Man Cleared in Stabbing Death (Updated)

Keano Munoz

Grand jury finds he acted in self-defense

A Dutchess County grand jury ruled earlier this month that a Beacon resident charged in May with first-degree manslaughter for stabbing a 55-year-old man acted in self-defense, according to his attorney, Anthony DeFazio.

Keano D. Munoz, 22, stabbed Richard Viera in a parking lot on South Davies Terrace on May 11. Viera was taken to St. Luke’s Hospital in Newburgh and then to Westchester Medical Center, where he died on May 17. Munoz was arrested the next day.

DeFazio said the victim had an issue with his client’s father “from years back” and had threatened to stab Munoz. Security cameras captured most of the encounter, he said, and there were also witnesses to the fight. He said Munoz stepped in only after Viera attacked someone else.


HOW WE REPORT
Trust MarkThe Current is a member of The Trust Project, a consortium of news outlets that has adopted standards to allow readers to more easily assess the credibility of their journalism. Our best practices, including our verification and correction policies, can be accessed here. Have a comment? A news tip? Spot an error? Email editor@highlandscurrent.org.

Comments are closed.